Can we fix the audio for A5/A6/A7?

joerg joerg.twinklephone at gmx.de
Wed Apr 2 13:34:05 CEST 2008

Hi, Allen Chang

Am Di  1. April 2008 schrieb ALLEN_CHANG at fic.com.tw:

> Hi Joery:
>
> I think the root cause is about GSM download and test.

This is an issue completely unrelated to GSM download. It's all about highpass
filter cutoff (-3dB) frequency f0=1/(2π RLCO) of the R-C highpass filter
constituted by the 1uF capacitors(CO) and the 1kR resistors + load(RL) of
headphones (which is supposed to be a standard of 32R !!)
Please have a look to the amp datasheet, it contains comprehensive discussion
of this (though for selecting input C, it applies to output C as well)
Quote from a former mail of me, which i will attach fyi:
> With 1uF we might get weak bass anyway, even with highZ-headphones.
> From datasheet, p5:
>> Output coupling capacitor which blocks the DC voltage at the
>> amplifier’s
>> output. Forms a high pass filter(!!!) with the single-ended load RL
>> at fO =
>> 1/(2π RLCO).
> With e.g. *typical* (->ds, p.12) 32R-headphones, RL = 65 Ohm! Could
> anybody
> check the Z for OM-headset?
> Please calculate f0 for this value!!!!!!

In attached mail, i calculated this f0 for a hypothetical headphone with
infinite impedance, and i get 160Hz for -3dB f0. This means you can not
connect *anything* to the headphone jack and expect to have any bass in
sound. (with 1k impedance headphones -very rare to find- f0 is 320Hz! This is
like phone POTS quality 400-4000Hz) Do the calculation yourself for
32R-headphone!). Obviously for a device intended to be used as MP3-player /
multimedia machine (among other uses) this isn't acceptable and to be
considered a product breaker.

> If we can't resolve the issue,
The solution is plain simple: have bigger C (at least 47u).
Or completely redesign the audio circuit. :-(

> I think we don't add a big capacitor and connect directly to earphone's
speaker ( make these capacitor to 0 ohm resistors)

Very creative idea, not supported by application notes of amp though ;-). Alas
i think the VDD/2 we expect to see at output of a push/pull complementary amp
will break the jack_insert logic, the DL_GSM logic, the power saving rules
and last not least quality of sound and maybe headphones/ears of user. Anyway
if it really works AND improves quality of sound, it's surely one of the
patents OM plans to register ;-)

There is no other way than having higher C in there.
As long as i don't have hw to run tests against, as well as have no specs for
OM-headphone (impedance?), i can not add any more better arguments to make
the situation more clear.
Please read the attached mails, at bottom, around "O== Components we MUST
have" +/-30 lines

cheers
jOERG

the headphone jack for GSM download)