changing mtd partitioning

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Fri Apr 11 00:52:37 CEST 2008

I'd like to change the mtd partitioning, but I'm a little confused. It
would appear that the partition info is stored in the bad block table,
right? It would also appear there is no way to map this out yourself
save, perhaps, building a new uboot. If I understand correctly, you do a

nand createbbt

which will create the partition table as well and erase the entire
flash. What I want is to simply slice up the rootfs some more. Doing
this, however, doesn't seem to be working for me. I do a

mtdpart del nand0,5
mtdpart add nand0 0x010a0000 rootfs
mtdpart add nand0 0x06600000 system
mtdpart add nand0 0x08000000 userdata

saveenv

So far, so good. I can't use the regular bootm line as it does a
dynpart; saveenv. So I tried without those. Was a no-go. Now, I've ended
up doing a defaultenv; dynpart; saveenv and messed up my boot menu plus
no serial out. Still can boot, but can't play with uboot anymore.