2 SD card slots and rootfs on internal SD card - maybe VFAT + fs images?

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Sat Apr 12 22:06:08 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> another device with microSD, I don't.  I have Sony Memory Stick, USB
> thumb drives, CF cards, I even have some big oldstyle SD.  I have
> nothing to share that card with.

Same thing here. My Neos are the only devices that take microSD.
However, old-style SD would qualify if you use microSD with a
full-size SD sleeve.

For me, the main occasion where I use removable Flash media for data
exchange is when traveling and I don't have my usual infrastructure
at hand and setting up networking may be difficult.

> Daniel mentioned camera pic transfer,
> that can be done in a flash-format-agnostic way using USB host to the
> camera without card ejection.

That requires gphoto or similar to be installed on the Neo. Just
being able to plug in an SD card is certainly easier if you're not
prepared.

> I siad that Samba would suck badly and always caused me trouble and to
> expose the SD card as USB mass storage device.  But you pointed out that
> this is a block-level thing that would conflict with any mount in the
> device.

If the storage area shared at the block level could be unmounted
during this, access conflicts could be avoided.

I may be possible to make concurrent block-level access work (for
some definition of "work"), or even to present a file system with
an entirely different internal structure as FAT seen from the
block level. However, this seems to be more a topic for research
than for soonish deployment.