2 SD card slots and rootfs on internal SD card - maybe VFAT + fs images?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sun Apr 13 00:44:29 CEST 2008

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:06:08 -0300 Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org>
babbled:

> Andy Green wrote:
> > another device with microSD, I don't.  I have Sony Memory Stick, USB
> > thumb drives, CF cards, I even have some big oldstyle SD.  I have
> > nothing to share that card with.
>
> Same thing here. My Neos are the only devices that take microSD.
> However, old-style SD would qualify if you use microSD with a
> full-size SD sleeve.

that's what i was thinking - the sleeve adapts it up to sd-card side. :)

> For me, the main occasion where I use removable Flash media for data
> exchange is when traveling and I don't have my usual infrastructure
> at hand and setting up networking may be difficult.
>
> > Daniel mentioned camera pic transfer,
> > that can be done in a flash-format-agnostic way using USB host to the
> > camera without card ejection.
>
> That requires gphoto or similar to be installed on the Neo. Just
> being able to plug in an SD card is certainly easier if you're not
> prepared.
>
> > I siad that Samba would suck badly and always caused me trouble and to
> > expose the SD card as USB mass storage device.  But you pointed out that
> > this is a block-level thing that would conflict with any mount in the
> > device.
>
> If the storage area shared at the block level could be unmounted
> during this, access conflicts could be avoided.

this is what the n800 does - and my motorola rokr e6. although i really think
its a nasty hacky thing. i'd rather try the samba/nfs route (offer both samba
and nfs and windows users get their file sharing - and unix/mac guys get
theirs! :) let the community tune/fix samba - we just get ti to raw "kind of
works" state)