[gta04] Meeting minutes for GTA04 discussion 20080411

Anthony Chang anthony_chang at openmoko.com
Tue Apr 15 11:29:08 CEST 2008

Andy Green 提到:

> | hi Andy,
> |
> | very thank your reply, this my honor...
>
> cough well don't worry you'll find me annoying soon enough :-)

:-)

> | On GTA01 and GTA02 we used this approach where the CPU is responsible
> | for everything, so we have some experience with this method.  It
> | basically works.  This and the MSP430 method are the two approaches we
> | can consider that are largely in conflict.
> |
> | In the GTA01/02 cases, we implemented support for charging modes and
> PMU
> | into U-Boot and kernel separately which was a major pain.  U-Boot and
> | kernel power implementations are different (U-Boot does not respond to
> | PMU interrupts like USB cable change) and act different.  While the
> | kernel boots, there service for PMU actions is deferred, but it still
> | gets serviced eventually.  For GTA04+ case we determined to kill
> U-Boot,
> | without MSP430 it means we could just ignore power management until we
> | get into Linux... that is a simplification over GTA01/02 that is OK
> | for me.
> |> in my experience,  we can use GPIO to detect charger in/out. in
> past, we
> |> use
> |> charge_ic and GPIO to detect has provide power form USB_Cable or
> Charge,
> |> without PMU. when change or USB_Cable plug-in device, bootloader is
> active,
> |> and show charging image for user. CPU go into lower frequency.
>
> Yes the PMU chips we use consolidate a lot of "interesting events" into
> one IRQ that we can put on a wake-capable interrupt, so we don't need to
> go to CPU GPIO for individual events.
>
> There are a few things we want to get away from you mention and I
> explain a little why for each.
>
> ~ - excessive GPIO to CPU.  All of them need taking care of in Linux, for
> other peripherals GPIO connection may change or conflict on different
> variant designs.  GPIO is always fine if it is in our "core
> architecture" and never changes between variants -- the PMU you mention
> is in this category.  But we need to take some care if we start randomly
> bringing peripheral IO to CPU GPIO differently on each variant otherwise
> we can end up with a big confusing mess and possibly peripherals that
> can't be used together "cut and paste" on another design directly
> because their GPIO allocation conflicts.

yes, I agree your point. we should be made a HW_layout is clearly.
about HW_layout, sorry, I am not professional...

> ~ - smart bootloader ("show charging image for user")  Until now we used
> U-Boot which is pretty much standard practice for this kind of work.
> But I found that U-Boot is like the fat girl that hangs around the
> popular girl copying her fashion and mannerisms, all she does is make
> the popular girl look better.  We add driver support to Linux, we have
> to cut and paste it into U-Boot -- except everything in U-Boot is uglier
> (sometimes WAY uglier) and we do not maintain this fork.  We provide
> power management driver in Linux, we make a garbage barely-functional
> copy of it in U-Boot.  And so on.  U-Boot ONLY exists with all that junk
> because Linux takes TOO LONG to boot!  This is not a good way, we decide
> to throw out U-Boot and make a VERY thin bootloader, and focus on fast
> boot of Linux.  The bootloader only needs
>
> ~  - SD Card read / write capability
> ~  - Minimal NAND bad block / ECC management for read / write
> ~  - Kernel commandline setting
> ~  - Jump into Linux
>
> No shell, no commands, no display init, no nothing.  If there is to be a
> special "I am idle and charging" display, that display is implemented
> ONCE in Linux ONLY using X (I dunno it is a great idea to leave the
> backlight up while charging).
>
> ~ - CPU go to lower frequency.  I think we will find there is a big
> difference in power consumption between lower frequency operation and
> SLEEP mode in S3C6400.  What I try to do is make the first assumption
> every time that we don't reduce CPU clock (although that is MUCH easier
> on 6400 than 2442) but we go to the best level of SLEEP.  Sometimes that
> assumption won't work out and we will rely on clock reduction or lesser
> sleep level.  But this way, the default that we examine each time is
> "can we force the CPU to lowest possible power at that time?" and many
> times the answer can be "yes" I think.

I understand, maybe we don't need use GPIO to detect charging.
and show image on LCM for user.

if we don't need display image for notify user,
then I think we don't need turn on and adjust CPU frequency in bootloader.