[gta04] Meeting minutes for GTA04 discussion 20080411

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 15 19:11:30 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> What I would like to see is SLEEP is the default when backlight goes
> down, but we watch what sockets or device nodes are open and infer from
> that we must not SLEEP.

Hmm, when I think of such heuristics, I come up with a lof of
complicated rules and/or changes to applications to make their
behaviour fit the heuristics that are supposed to interpret it.

When I think of explicit signaling by application or middleware,
this seems to get much easier, but then a lot of programs would
have to be modified.

Perhaps some very coarse laptop-style default behaviour with a
small number of hooks/taps (on a laptop: disk, keyboard, mouse)
with the option of applications exercising more fine-grained
control through explicit signaling might be an workable compromise.

Something to ponder later, perhaps.

The rest sounds good. Seems that we have a plan :-)