locating via GSM, revisited

joerg at openmoko.org joerg at openmoko.org
Sun Apr 20 17:10:51 CEST 2008

BTW: the German O2 net (E2) is sending the precise coordinates of every BTS on
Cell Broadcast Channel 221. Gauss-Krueger-Notation coded :-/ (there are
converter programs, google for it)

So at least for O2 you don't need any database of BTS positions, you simply
get it for free from the actve BTS itself :-) (however not for the neighbour
cells, as long as you don't force cell reselection)

However I should mention: the current for my Nokia 6210 is rising from 5 to
35mA (!!!) for standby, when CB is enabled :-(

/jOERG