next-generation PMU discussion / Memory 1.8V

joerg at openmoko.org joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Apr 21 14:35:45 CEST 2008

Am Mo  21. April 2008 schrieb Andy Green:
> | Very sure our RTC should move from PMU to MPU.
> | So is there any more need to have a backup battery for the PMU? Can we
> share
> | the battery between 50366 and 430?
> |
> | Andy: ts scanning won't keep the MPU awake, a touch is triggering a
> | hw-interupt on the A/D-input of 430. So no touch, no op (not even NOP ;)
>
> Don't we have to go around driving X then Y plane?  Is it OK to drive
> one plane all the time from a power POV, if that's what goes on?
>
> | So anybody here who's unhappy with the MSP430FG4618?
> | Before I start to read the next 100 pages of manual to check if it
> meets our
> | specs.
>
> The price is a lot... I hope this price doesn't bear any resemblance to
> the "FIC price" because it is a bit hard to defend blowing $13 on this
> MPU.  I think we probably did some overkill needing 8K of RAM, 1K or
> maybe 2K should be fine.

just it makes NO difference at all.
This is the only "model" with BGA113 footprint, and they are same price for
4k - 8k and different flash-ROM sizes.
Took me quite some hours to dig thru the TI pages and tables, but it seems
there just is no other chip 430 with small footprint.
Probably it's been silly I do this, whereas Werner as well as you both
probably know better of this product series.
Well somewhere I *have* to start with this task ;-), so why not here...

/jOERG

ps: [just kidding:] we already *have* a MPU even in GTA02. It does near
nothing most of the time and sits inside our GSM chips. Why not use this
one? ;-) We already paid for it.