locating via GSM, revisited (legal issues?)

joerg at openmoko.org joerg at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 22 14:55:09 CEST 2008

Am Di  22. April 2008 schrieb Harald Welte:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 06:35:28PM +0800, joerg at openmoko.org wrote:
> > doing
> > Gauss-Krueger

> > > At least in Germany the location of the cellular towers (especially
> > > combined with the information if they're GPRS, EDGE, UMTS or HSDPA) is
> > > considered a trade secret by the operator.
> >
> > Quite obviously not for O2! They at least send Gauss-Krueger for every of
> > their BTS, and you may receive this with any simple cellphone. So which
kinda
> > secret is this then?
>
> the point is not what kind of actual secret it is.  The point is that
> you are working in a licensed radio band. licensed to the operator.  The
> operator can send data on this band all day long, unencrypted.  As long
> as you have no permission by the operator, you may not legally use that
> data!
>
> > As long as you can legally acquire the info (you also might use a map and
> > photocamera with tagging), and it's not offensive nor copyrighted or mere
> > false, you very usually may publish it whereever and in any amount you
like.

> the problem is that there is no legal way to acquire that information
> unless you have explicit permission by the operator to use it.

At O2, it's GSM-CellBroadcast, this is _explicitly_ _designed_ to be received
by *any* cellphone (permission included). Grab your phone, activate
Cellbroadcast channel number 221, and if you're in Germany and on O2, you
*for* *sure* have *legal* info about the exact position of your BTS. No
database needed, O2 is giving it away for free :-)

You're not going to say I can buy a simcard + phone at any O2 shop, but I'm
not allowed to press the buttons on this phone to enable cell-broadcast. Are
you?

/jOERG