next-generation (now) MPU discussion

joerg at openmoko.org joerg at openmoko.org
Thu Apr 24 09:31:51 CEST 2008

Am Do  24. April 2008 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
> joerg at openmoko.org wrote:
> > Keeping the "save"-state and not messing around with these state changes
of
> > PMU. (though I don't see any big difference between save and off state,
> > except for RTC and some lowpower-supply chain).
>
> The PCF50633 resets registers to mask-programmed defaults depending on
> state. Some registers only reset in NoPower while others reset in
> Standby.

Yep, that's what I meant when saying "not messing around...", already
suspected things like these. For properly handling power up button etc, we
will need some backup-power for PMU anyway I guess.
So it's "share the battery" then, rather than "move it". Better idea anyway.

> > Right. Just wondering how many devices we have to sell to break even on

bargain_on_chip/unit(hw-supply)./.additional_effort_for_small_chip(sw-manpower).

> A small chip may actually save time by not tempting us to do too
> much with it ;-)

WAAAH, don't ever say this when anybody may hear! ;-) They will give you bad
hardware, expect you to do a great job on sw for it, and probably pay less
for it because it's less work as you stated. :-/ ;-)
Now for real: we got a lot of additional sw-fiddling with low level things on
the small chip when comparing to the 12,95$ one, and we even aren't 100% sure
where we will hit the limits the small RAM and missing hw-serial-I/O is
imposing (are we?).

I'd like to push the decision about which chip to use for MPU, so we can get
down to real development work for the circuit diagrams. (though we are also
waiting for the LCM specs, so probably there's plenty of time to just sit and
talk and ponder whether it's worth the 7$/unit... OTOH we can easily start
with existing GTA02 screen and 0 effort, but for MSP430 we have to do some
work anyway - a pity when it's done for the wrong chip)

Andy: can you give to us a short memo summarizing the benefits of a MPU we
wouldn't get any other way, briefly explaining background and way it shall
work for each of those points? So everybody involved in the decision on MPU
is clear on what we are talking about, enabling us to make a more educated
decision.

cheers
/jOERG