s3c244x hardware ecc / backup kernel and rootfs direction

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 13 21:08:38 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> I referred to this as "kboot" for want of a better name.  Rather than
> buy into any meaning from that, to me, this is simply the "minimal shim
> to run Linux".

Yeah, I also thought about a better name I could suggest, but
couldn't come up with something nice quickly.

> What shell features?

File system navigation, invocation of recovery tools, etc.

> Shell features in bootloader are evil.

They're rather nice to have if they come at the cost of "cp" ;-)

> Having been through rootfs creation with DM2, I think the winning way to
> make this secondary rootfs is from the pieces we build be main rootfs
> from.

Since we already have a distribution that does (or can be made to do)
what we want, that's the right way to do it, yes. (There was no
suitable distribution around back when I wrote kboot, which is why it
takes the DIY/NIH approach.)

However, we need some sort of UI for the boot loader. Petitboot looks
like a promising candidate for this. I don't know how PS3-specific it
is under the hood, but I'm sure the PS3 developers won't mind if it
becomes a bit more universal.