Approach to update kboot/kernel/rootfs

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 13 21:17:14 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> Today we only managed to get NAND kernel source working.  But, next week
> we can expect to get GTA03 SD Card kernel source working.

Yup, and then the final missing piece will be to make sure "kboot"
can run from RAM when loaded through JTAG. Thus the devirgination
sequence becomes:

- insert SD card with Linux kernel and rootfs
- load "kboot" over JTAG
- boot from SD card
- system on SD card copies "kboot" and anything else we want there
  to NAND
- after that, you can update the NAND just from Linux, much like
  we do in FINAL

BTW, DFU may still have a future: if we get a USB-capable MPU that
doesn't already come with a USB firmware loader, DFU would be quite
handy for that.