Approach to update kboot/kernel/rootfs

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Aug 13 22:25:55 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> | can run from RAM when loaded through JTAG. Thus the devirgination
> | sequence becomes:
>
> We have to find a new verb / figleaf for this that is more neutral --
> "factory initialization".

Tsk, those prudish anglo-saxons ... ;-)

Oh, since we're searching for names anyway, how about calling the
first-stage loader ("kboot-stage1") "figleaf" for it's the one that
hides all the bits of the system that may disturb the sensitive ?

Then we only need a new name for "kboot".

> It's a shame if we have to support NAND in Linux at all.  Better that
> NAND is the dirty secret we never acknowledge, if possible.

Yeah, but by avoiding to put a live file system there, we've pretty
much defanged it.