s3c244x hardware ecc / backup kernel and rootfs direction

xiangfu xiangfu at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 14 04:19:49 CEST 2008

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> I think there's a bit of confusion about the terminology.
> We have:
>
> - small first stage loader ("kboot-stage1")
> - the full Linux system(s) we normally boot
> - a reduced Linux system that implements extended boot loader
>   functionality (selection of other kernels, user input, etc.)
>
> What I'm talking about is the latter. Petitboot is just a Linux
> program that implements a good-looking GUI already designed for
> this kind of boot loader. Using it just means one DIY item less
> for us.
>
> - Werner

read some mails that make me not sure the kboot  work  process.so i
write down my think
tell me is it wrong.

boot process
  1. update mode  (i mean update normal kernel and rootfs)
       (kboot-stage1)------->(kboot's kernel + kboot's
rootfs)-------->(normal kernel + normal rootfs)

^

then we can update normal kernel and rootfs or do some other things at here

  2. phone mode  (i mean normal boot the phone)
      (kboot-stage1)-----|--->(normal kernel + normal rootfs (NAND)
                               or|--->(boot from SD
card)                     this is most time we use the phone.

Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Oh, since we're searching for names anyway, how about calling the
> first-stage loader ("kboot-stage1") "figleaf" for it's the one that
> hides all the bits of the system that may disturb the sensitive ?
>
> Then we only need a new name for "kboot".

then the first-stage have a name "figleaf" ?