What is the purpose of fix-EVIOCGRAB-semantics.patch ??

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Thu Aug 21 10:02:11 CEST 2008

On Thu, August 21, 2008 5:17 pm, Andy Green wrote:

> | So my proposed fix process would be:
> |
> |   1/identify all programs that listen on the touchscreen and make
> |     sure they can be happy with BTN_STYLUS or ABS_PRESSURE
>
> I like the sound of this.  I have some half-done patches that report
> touchscreen pressure and I noticed that if I do report it, it destroyed
> X support for touchscreen action.

Not sure what you mean here.  /dev/input/event1 already reports
ABS_PRESSURE of 0 or 1, and as far as I can tell those are the only
levels that the device reports.

> |   2/change s3c2410_ts drivers to report BTN_STYLUS rather than
> |     BTN_PRESSURE
> |   3/remove tslib-input_raw-grab_events.patch from tslib
> |   4/remove fix-EVIOCGRAB-semantics.patch from the kernel.
> |
> | Does this seem acceptable?
> | Can anyone help with point 1??
>
> I can do the deed in the kernel no problem, but as usual the problem is
> mainly we need to confirm it doesn't trash existing rootfs / X when it
> is changed in normal kernel.

I can confirm that it works on FSO.
I'll try Qtopia but I've been assured that it should work - it just
uses tslib too.

BTW I noticed while exploring that one stanza from mousedev_ids in
mousedev.c is #ifdef'ed out in the openmoko kernel.  The result of
that is that the touchscreen already doesn't look like a mouse
even though it reports BTN_TOUCH.
I would prefer that change get reverted at the same time that
s3c2410_tc is changed to use BTN_STYLUS.

It means that the EVIOCGRAB usage in tslib
   tslib-input_raw-grab_events.patch
is currently not needed.  Who do I ask to get that patch removed?

Once it is removed it should be safe to remove fix-EVIOCGRAB-semantic.patch
from the kernel.

Thanks,
NeilBrown