Regression on U-boot without batery [was: u-boot low-battery handling]

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Tue Aug 26 06:45:03 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:

> Powered via  (this particular) 100/500mA USB-Host, none of both U_Boot would
> boot without battery. Though it's happily working on linux without GSM just
> on USB-power, after boot with battery.

I have had some success (not all the time) running under Linux with USB
power and no battery, but I had to turn off the charger through "echo 0
 > /sys/.../chgmode" as well as turning off GSM.

I have also found that WiFi stops working when the battery is removed,
but it recovers when I re-insert the battery.

>> or to apply the patch from my first email
>> to your NAND u-boot.
> If you point me to a kernel-image I might flash with dfu-util, I for sure will
> try what I find with this one.

http://members.shaw.ca/mmontour/neo/u-boot-2008082501.udfu is the u-boot
image that I'm currently using (stable git branch + my patch from last
night).

>> My FR is a GTA02v5 with datecode 20080619 and it will not power up at
>> all without a battery (due to the "small SYS capacitor" mentioned
>> above?) so I can't test this scenario.
>
> You tried with OM USB power supply, and (factory) NOR-boot?

Yes. I just get a few clicks, no LEDs or other signs of life.