some question about NAND partitions with QI

matt_hsu matt_hsu at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 26 09:57:19 CEST 2008

xiangfu wrote:

> Andy Green wrote:
>
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>> | i am not sure about the nand partitions so i write it down, if i am
>> | wrong, correct me. thanks.
>> |
>> | is this the final nand partitions with kboot:
>> |
>> |  qi     kboot           backup kernel and rootfs              normal
>> | kernel and rootfs
>> |
>> |---|--|----------------|----------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------------------***|
>>
>> |      ^
>> |       here is cmdline for normal kernel  we can put kboot kernel cmdline
>> | in qi. like now Andy do.
>>
>> We can't exactly do the kboot commandline thing because we have a
>> commandline that changes according to boot source now.  I think we get
>> away without using this cmdline partition concept.
>>

> is that mean the QI must deal with  two commandline
> one is for kboot kernel

    I think Andy's saying is to add extra structure in board_api_info
such as

    .commandline = ""
    .alt_commandline = ""

    Qi can detect the external events such as AUX key pressing to select
proper commandline to pass into kernel.

> another is for normal kernel.
> and both of them easy to modify by end user?

    If we want to program the cmdline partition, you can use
flash_erase, nand_write to modify this mtdparts.
    The problem is, do we need to provide this feature?

    Cheers,

    Matt