some question about NAND partitions with QI

matt_hsu matt_hsu at openmoko.org
Tue Aug 26 10:37:04 CEST 2008

xiangfu wrote:

> matt_hsu wrote:
>
>> is that mean the QI must deal with  two commandline
>> one is for kboot kernel
>>

>>>    I think Andy's saying is to add extra structure in board_api_info
>>> such as
>>>
>>>    .commandline = ""
>>>    .alt_commandline = ""
>>>
>>>    Qi can detect the external events such as AUX key pressing to select
>>> proper commandline to pass into kernel.
>>>

> i think that AUX key pressing or something  is to choose kernel not
> commandline

    Both of they are the same thing.
    It means, according to the external event, qi can select proper
kernel and corresponding kernel command line.

>> another is for normal kernel.
>> and both of them easy to modify by end user?
>>

>>>    If we want to program the cmdline partition, you can use flash_erase,
>>> nand_write to modify this mtdparts.
>>>    The problem is, do we need to provide this feature?
>>>

> i think Andy mean we should find a better way then cmdline partition in
> NAND.

    Now qi does not have any method to update the content in NAND unless
you boot into kernel.
    My question is, do we need to provide this kind flexibility to let
user update cmdline partition?
    If yes, we need to use mtd utility or find something else to
program  this partition.
    If no, we can just provide couple boot scenarios in qi.

     Matt