Android howto

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Tue Dec 2 11:24:57 CET 2008

Cédric Berger wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:52, Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com> wrote:
>
>> Cédric Berger wrote:
>>

>>> Looks like the virtual keyboard that was proposed by... [oups I do not
>>> remember who :-p ]... is not included yet.
>>> Have you tried to integrate it ?
>>>

>> Argg. Completely slipped my mind. I'm going back over your work right now.
>>

> Ok cool !
>
> oh and it was Rui Castro I was talking about for the keyboard :
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-framework/browse_thread/thread/c8ca666ee3fa9cca

Yes, that's the one I will incorporate.

>>> For now I have not yet seen what are the differences with previous
>>> image (the broken one without video libs, that was quickly removed)
>>>
>>> I will now try with your latest kernel.
>>>

> With latest kernel :
> - when trying to shut down android, it is stuck showing "shutting down" ....
> - backlight brigthness cannot be adjusted (it looks like it is at maximum).

Yes, I experience the same behavior here on shutdown. It is lower
priority to me than the other problems, though.
Backlight has moved in the new kernel. It's been a while since I've done
any verification on that.

You'll need to change /system/build.prop:

backlight.lcd=/sys/class/backlight/gta02-bl

I'm going to move everything forward to andy-tracking. Better to test
now than later.

> And WIFI seems to still not work (with either kernel) : "impossible to
> search networks"

This has been broken for me a long time on various kernels. It must me
something I'm doing wrong. I'll need to get Werner to help me on this. I
just can't get anything on a scan at all.