suspend/resume test

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Sun Dec 7 22:49:32 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:

> What it impacts is what we should test against.

Exactly my point.

> It's fine there are an
> uncontrolled number of rootfs out there with random things in, but it
> means I don't have time to test against them and rely on the users of
> the rootfs to inform about problems.

And that's exactly what we have in this case -- a report from a user.

> It looks like Jeremy is planning to be "internal tester" for kernel on
> whatever rootfs he prefers

Great.  But let's not summarily dismiss the bug reports from others who
choose not to use whatever rootfs that turns out to be.

>   If we ship stuff with apmd then
> "throw out the broken apmd you seem to have in your rootfs" won't do as
> a solution.

Yes, and since numerous of the distros still use apmd, I'm merely
pointing out that "throw out the broken apmd you seem to have in your
rootfs" might not be a good answer for an awful lot of the users out there.

Nobody is saying that Om needs to drop everything and make it work; I'm
just stating perhaps Om shouldn't just dismiss apmd as irrelevant, which
is the original implication.

> Does Android need APM or is this just FUD?

Android was mentioned because it is a prominent example of an external
rootfs that the Om kernel team seems to take seriously.  I *do* know for
a fact that the FSO distro and the SHR distros both use apmd, and the
rootfs' with the pre-canned Qtopia and the Qt Extended rootfs' both use
apmd.  I'm not sure what the Debian rootfs uses, but I believe it to be
apmd as well.

Mike (mwester)