suspend/resume test / getting rid of APM

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Mon Dec 8 00:09:30 CET 2008

| Andy Green wrote:
|
|> What it impacts is what we should test against.
|
| Exactly my point.
|
|> It's fine there are an
|> uncontrolled number of rootfs out there with random things in, but it
|> means I don't have time to test against them and rely on the users of
|> the rootfs to inform about problems.
|
| And that's exactly what we have in this case -- a report from a user.
|
|> It looks like Jeremy is planning to be "internal tester" for kernel on
|> whatever rootfs he prefers
|
| Great.  But let's not summarily dismiss the bug reports from others who
| choose not to use whatever rootfs that turns out to be.

Really.  Well, I'll give your wisdom about that some deep thought.

|> Does Android need APM or is this just FUD?
|
| Android was mentioned because it is a prominent example of an external
| rootfs that the Om kernel team seems to take seriously.  I *do* know for

So, just FUD.

| a fact that the FSO distro and the SHR distros both use apmd, and the
| rootfs' with the pre-canned Qtopia and the Qt Extended rootfs' both use
| apmd.  I'm not sure what the Debian rootfs uses, but I believe it to be
| apmd as well.

Hey you know that guy who writes the weekly Openmoko reports, even he
said 20th Oct:  ''I would like to make an unrequested announcement for
the sake of the good vertical communication:  Kernels currently has the
APM power management interface is still compiled in. This has been
deprecated for years and is doomed to go away. Hopefully apm -s will
still work for suspend, but userspace applications that still use the
deprecated apm interface SHOULD take action, preferably sooner than later.''

http://lwn.net/Articles/303942/

You know thinking about this 2.6.28 step up is probably the right time
to disable APM in the kernel completely if that's really a good idea.
There's already a bunch of attention needed for the move, and people in
all rootfs will be aware that this update is coming.  At the moment we
have APM emulation and CONFIG_APM_POWER in there, tomorrow I'll give it
a go with these disabled and see what blows up.