What is the proper way to turn wlan on/off? Other wlan questions.

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Dec 18 22:00:44 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> But I'm not willing to cede all decisions about our product to
> each upstream sort of mindlessly like you are there.

You may be surprised to find that I actually did ask myself to what
extent we care about upstream in this case.

I took it as a hint that, given that we have already have six
interfaces that affect WLAN power in one way or another and still
can't give a simple answer to what seems to be a simple question,
"do it just because we can" doesn't seem to be an efficient policy
when it comes to actually providing a solution in this case.

For those who haven't kept count, here are the options:

1) SIOCSIWTXPOW
2) AR6000_IOCTL_EXTENDED/AR6000_XIOCTRL_WMI_SET_WLAN_STATE
3) sysfs power_on
4) global suspend/resume
5) module load/unload
6) bind/unbind