What is the proper way to turn wlan on/off? Other wlan questions.

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Dec 18 22:37:16 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> I am surprised given what you've said in the past :-)

Well, so far there's no plan to send that beast upstream anyway,
so we could rewrite it in C++ with CamelCase and pHungarian
notation and the impact of such folly would still be quite
limited :-)

> With rfkill we can retire the sysfs one entirely

One of my concerns is that it would suggest that there's a real
rfkill underneath while there isn't. So it's a policy decision
in the end - is this good enough that we can call it "rfkill"
or do we leave this decision to user space.

After pondering this issue for a bit today, I'd consider it good
enough. But a lot more thought than that went into the design of
the rfkill interface and its semantics, which is why I asked on
linux-wireless.

The other concern is that people will mistake rfkill for power
saving. There's only so much we can do to prevent this, but we
can at least be clear in what we advertize.