Suspended mode

Allen Chang allen_chang at mc.fic.com.tw
Sat Feb 2 12:45:42 CET 2008

Andy Green 提到:

> Hi Allen -
>
> This is a very good initiative you started.
>
> Some comments:
>
>  - Some submodules have an internal state that determines their power
> consumption while "on", ie, while we give them power.  It is true for
> WLAN and I guess it is true for GSM and Bluetooth.  So "ON" doesn't
> capture the situation in there because they can choose to run their
> radios or not for example and that will be dozens of mA difference.
>
>  - Particularly Sameo was asking what he should do with Suspend on WLAN.
>  I said that 99% of the time users do not want wake from WLAN, they want
> long suspend battery life.  But sometimes, if users want to wake on an
> incoming VoIP call for example, they do need it and that should be an
> application or user setting.
>
>  - "Normal Mode" has everything "ON".  But in truth usually the user
> does not want to use every IO method at the same time.  Maybe he didn't
> have any Bluetooth peripheral or he does not like to run a GPS device.
> So we should ultimately allow the user to select to not start support
> for the devices we have power control for (it should be done as whether
> the usermode /etc/init.d script is started or stopped).  If he suddenly
> wants GPS because he is lost, well he can enable it.  The rest of the
> time he gets better battery life.

Hi Andy:
Oh~ In Normal or suspend mode, we will have many choices for these
submodules.
Actually, we don't have too many time to implement these modes and
verify these modes now.
I think we should force on one basic normal mode and suspend mode now.
Because I want GTA02 can be a real phone and we can use them to replace
our mobile phones.
If everyone use GTA02 to be a phone in openmoko and MC department, we
can get many bugs form these users.
Therefore, I suggest that the basic normal mode should have NAND FLASH,
NOR FLASH, Audio Codec, Audio AMP,LCM, GLAMO3362, GSM and Back light.
If we have these submodules , the GTA02 can be a phone.
For a basic suspend, we turn off audio AMP, LCM, Backlight and S3C2442
,GSM, GLAM3362,and Audio Codec enter their suspend mode.

Do you agrees with me?

Best Wishes
Allen Chang