GTA02 802.11 driver status

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Wed Feb 6 01:04:45 CET 2008

> Hi Andy,

> Hi Sameo -
>
> Sounds great.
>
>  - What's the situation for performing a firmware upgrade through the
> driver?
>> Not supported at the moment. The tools needed for that are in Atheros
>> hands, and I think OpenMoko is trying to have them release those tools.
>> Most likely those discussions involve legal issues, so I can't comment
>> further on that matter.

Hum okay.

>  - How about Monitor mode?
>
>  - And packet injection?
>> I'd have to look at those 2.
>> For Monitor mode, I need to check if the firmware supports it.
>> For packet injection, how is that done by other drivers ? Raw
>> sockets, I guess, but probably some sort of firmware support as well,
>> right ?

I spent a while implementing injection on several drivers before doing
it in mac80211.  How that works is packets transmitted on a monitor mode
interface are injected, being understood to have radiotap headers prepended.

That makes sense for mac80211 because it allows multiple virtual
interfaces on the same physical hardware, so you can have a logical
monitor mode and logical associated interface on the same radio.

Quite what you can do here is pretty much controlled by the firmware,
but it would be cool if you could "tcpdump" an interface and select to
see all packets, not just AP filtered ones, and inject back up it too.

Roh's Ad-hoc would also be interesting and again it's just a question of
if the firmware does it I suppose.