R70/R71 on debug v3 board ?

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 11 10:21:32 CET 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 07:36:52AM +0000, Andy Green wrote:

> > I wrote:
> >> I'm testing the NOR under "real life" conditions,
> >
> > By the way, after adding R70 and R71 to one of my debug v3 boards,
> > the GTA02v5 behaves as expected, i.e., the NOR is not writeable in
> > the bare GTA02, but it is writeable once I connect the debug board.
>
> I was wondering if we should bother with hardware disable for write /
> erase at all, since there is the very effective flash_unlock --
> effectively a hardware write protect -- needed before you can do
> anything with NOR?

The idea of the NOR was to make it impossible to write to nor without
doing any hardware modifications or connecting the debug board.

Anything that can be done in software is not a sufficient level of
protection.  We want to reliably claim that this nor flash is read-only,
and that users can always recover, no matter what they do on the
software side.

In fact, the NOR flash is only for users who don't have a debug board.
Users that have a debug board can always recover via jtag.  So making
this dependent on the debug board is a perfect solution.