charging bl-5c | bl-6c

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Fri Feb 15 19:54:35 CET 2008

Playing the devil's advocate for our hypothetical legal department,
shouldn't we only charge batteries that we have tested against and know
the charging curve for, so that we know we won't overcharge and
potentially cause the battery to explode? For this reason (I suspect)
all cellphones look for the ID of the battery, and if it's not the one
they were designed for, they refuse to charge.*

Granted, this is an extremely paranoid point of view, and is not mine.
Besides, since our source is open, nothing prevents anyone from find the
code that does that test, and bypassing it.

Assuming, of course, that this is the reason we do not charge BL-5C and
BL-6C.

Michael

* Another reason is that the cellphone maker would have you buy the
expensive battery from them, rather than the cheaper knock-off
replacement from Radio Shack or whatever.