About u-boot

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Mon Feb 25 10:11:04 CET 2008

Miles Hsieh wrote:
> I must need boot menu to use "boot from SD" in factory.
> If I use trunk, I find it has boot menu in u-boot, but it would power
> off in some minutes.

The standard way to handle this in u-boot is through the environment.

If you look in http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/devirginator/
you'll find environment.in and envedit.pl. environment.in has all the
changes we want to make to the environment, and envedit.pl is the
program that performs them.

environment.in contains an example for booting from an ext2-formatted
SD/MMC on an GTA01. (Item "menu_1".)

The same setup should exist in DM1, so you could just make the changes
there.

To make u-boot wait longer at the menu, you can set the variable
boot_menu_timeout (timeout in seconds).