Suggestion for underlying design of power settings infrastructure (was: Re: Power Management and OpenMoko - third power setting)

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Wed Feb 27 19:37:45 CET 2008

What I'd really like to see is a flexible power setting system which
allows for an arbitrary number of modes and complete flexibility
regarding what is or isn't powered in each mode, and what causes each
mode to be entered or exited.

I don't expect this to be a menu option (frankly I don't care about
menus at all), but I strongly urge that the underlying infrastructure
will be designed in a completely unrestrictive manner.

Later, application and framework developers will chose how much or how
little  of this flexibility to expose in the menus. And, programmer
users will be able to expand these menus to include options of their
choice by modifying the source as needed.

Limiting power modes to two or three modes, and then fixing what is or
isn't powered in each mode, is akin to greying out areas of a menu in
certain programs, thinking "if the user is doing this, they will never
want to do that at the same time".

Don't do my thinking for me. If I wanted that, I'd use one of those
other two operating systems. I came to Linux to think for myself.

I hope it's not too late.

Michael