backlight device, suspend/resume...

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 8 16:37:39 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> Kernel is always "limiting [userspace] ability to [do everything
> itself]" and sometimes that's a sign what you want should be in the kernel.

Or that you're doing too much in the kernel, e.g., the part that
does what you'd rather not have done :-)

Anyway, if the kernel restores the exact state it was in before
suspend, which would seem like reasonable enough behaviour to me,
user space could still come up with the backlight off if it just
made sure to turn it off before requesting the suspend.

This may mean that user space needs a suspend/resume coordinator
where there is none yet, but you'd also need this if the kernel
did nothing.