backlight device, suspend/resume... [RANT]

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Wed Jul 9 04:11:17 CEST 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 09.07.2008 02:38, Mike (mwester) wrote:
>> [...]
>> Ok, enough said.  The community will maintain a patch to make sure that
>> we can read the display when the thing crashes.
>
> You forget that a device-disabling userspace crash will most likely not
> leave any hints about the reason on screen,

Mine does, actually.  Just last night I watched as an endless stream of
messages scrolled by on the GTA02 after a failed resume, and managed to
read enough of the text to grep the kernel sources to find it, and come
up with a fix.  (Did you know that pulseaudio can spam the ALSA drivers
enough at resume to crash the device?)

> so the exercise seems
> completely pointless. It looks nice in theory, but of all crashes which
> would render userspace dead, I can't imagine one which would give you
> the nice error message you want.
>
> Feel free to correct me.

:-) No worries there; I just cited a concrete example, one of many that
I've encountered on the GTA01 and GTA02 recently.

> Regards,
> Carl-Daniel

Mike (mwester)