nWAITing for Glamo

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 01:45:25 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> if we have a 2442 with a dumb framebuffer i'd get 13fps.

Does this take into account the memory bandwidth taken up by the screen
refresh ? If not, it would even be less than 13fps :-(

If you want to test this, I think you could just set up the 2442's LCD
controller and let it pump out data into nothingness. As long as the
GPIOs aren't reconfigured, the LCD controller sending data to them
shouldn't matter. You don't even need a kernel change - you could write
the registers directly from user space, using mmap. See also
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/target/gpio/gpio.c

I think this would be a very interesting test, giving us a precise
indication what performance we could expect when we remove the Glamo.