[Fwd: flash partition 5 - factory, not rootfs]

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Jun 3 16:48:28 CEST 2008

[ Processing mails accumulated during my vacation ... ]

Andy Green wrote:
> You can use magic partition names with dfu now like "kernel", on GTA02
> U-Boot at least.  Presumably it's also the case with GTA01 which would
> mean you can abstract your way around the problem.

Yes, names have been the preferred way of identifying partitions
(with DFU) for more than a year now ;-)

Regarding the environment, the reference environment lives here:
http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/devirginator/environment.in

This is a set of changes to be applied on top of the environment
u-boot sets up by default, plus the (device-specific) partition
table.

To re-create a valid environment, do this:

dynpart
dynenv set u-boot_env
saveenv

Copy the environment to a PC with

dfu-util -a u-boot_env -U env.in

Then, run (from http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/devirginator/)

envedit.pl -i env.in -o env.out -D GTA01 -f environment.in
or
envedit.pl -s 0x40000 -i env.in -o env.out -D GTA02 -f environment.in

Finally, copy the modified environment back to the Neo with:

dfu-util -a u-boot_env -D env.out

(All this is from memory. Hope there are no typos :)