My Gta02s wont charge

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sun Jun 22 20:01:23 CEST 2008

Am Do  19. Juni 2008 schrieb Werner Almesberger:
> Sean McNeil wrote:
> > You do not need a battery to run the phone. It will run off USB power.
>
> Some do, some don't. E.g., I never got any GTA02 (out of 1-2 samples)
> to run from USB power for more than a few seconds.
>
> Regarding charging, the big issue seems to be that we turn off the
> charger if we don't have USB power. The PMU remembers that setting
> while it has any power at all. Thus, if the battery is empty and the
> charger happens to be turned off, USB power is simply ignored.

I think battery charging *never* may be turned off. There is no valid reason
to do this. Set max bat-voltage correctly and let PCF50633 handle the end of
charging.
Instead reset max USB-current to 100mA and *enable* charging on every occasion
(u-boot, power-interrupts, just *every* occasion) if there's not wallcharger
detected or 500mA negotiated actually.
/jOERG