Starting on openmoko-kernel

Felipe Balbi me at felipebalbi.com
Tue Mar 4 08:30:13 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:06:18 +0800, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
> Amen brother.  The quilt stuff (I call them "mokopatches") will soon be
> deprecated in favour of all git.  But I already maintain a git tree for
> a couple of months here:
>
> http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=andy
>
> Note that it is layered, so master is kernel.org 2.6.24, mokopatches
> branch adds the quilt blobs, and the "andy" branch on top has my current
> stuff.  That branch keeps getting emptied into mokopatches currently via
> posting for review to this list, so there is a varying amount of stuff
> there despite plenty has gone through it.

good that you guys will move to git ;-)
easier even to change kernel version, just about merging with mainline :-p
piece of cake

>> Also, that mini-b receptacle on the device should be changed to a
>> micro-AB if we wanna otg working:
>> 	1. Mini connectors/receptacles are obsolete and openmoko won't
>> 	get usb certification with that receptacle
>> 	2. OTG has to be done using a micro-AB receptacle, it's
>> 	mandatory.
>
> Wah also note we currently abuse the ID pin I believe for charger
> detection (a resistor to 0V is present in the 1A-capable charger that
> hooks to the mini USB port).  But I'm not sure I see that changing for
> GTA02.

I saw that too. USB Charger Detection should be done by measuring the
capacitance
changes on Vbus line.

>> Anyways, how can I help ? How can I be helped on getting an openmoko
>> advanced kit ??
>
> I will ask about it but in the worst case in can be April.

Yeah, I can wait until there for a better device :-p

Note: Another possible hw change would be adding an otg transceiver so can
really
switch roles (host/peripheral) by sampling id pin status.

> Very nice to see you are interested to work on this subsystem!

It's just my job :-p

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi