refactoring mokopatches

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Tue Mar 11 13:31:40 CET 2008

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:01:10 +0000, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
>>
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>
>>> Well i did something like that for a custom omap3 board i have :-p
>>> It's just another board. But then I'll need someone to test the patches
>> on
>>> GTA01
>>> as I'll have only GTA02 to try.
>>>
>>> Then we also have enough time to fixup some stuff during the process ;-)
>> Wah sounds like we will owe you several barrels of beer if you can make
>> headway on it.  Werner has a GTA01.
>
> Ehehe... let's make a party here in Finland after we have an up and running
> git tree :-p

Sure, I have been to Denmark, never been to Finland, a boozeup is always
something to aim for :-)

>> Thanks a lot for putting yourself up for this!  If we can support it let
>> us know... success here will make a huge difference to this project for
>> sure.
>
> BTW, I'll have to comment on some patches before applying them, at least
> pcf50606 has to be
> redone otherwise it won't make it upstream.
>
> Backlight feature should go to drivers/video/backlight, RTC feature should
> go to drivers/rtc and so on.
> One could make a drivers/i2c/chips/pcf50606-core.c and that would export
> the necessary read/write functions
> to the other modules.
>
> I'll probably find some other issues when preparing the git tree, but let's
> handle one issue at a time ;-)

Yes this is exactly what I would expect to hear from upstream so good to
hear it now.

I guess the best way is to track each variance from what will be
accepted into Bugzilla, so we don't lose track, maybe under a parent
metabug.  Then others can help out if you identify specific chunks of
refactoring work.

I guess you are going to need a public git repo and branches to manage
this too, if anyone is going to cooperate with any subtasks they need to
base off it, plus we can maybe base a development branch on it that has
new stuff on top to assess how broken we are.  If it is true I can start
that process of getting auth for the git server.