refactoring mokopatches

Felipe Balbi me at felipebalbi.com
Tue Mar 11 13:41:41 CET 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:31:40 +0000, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:01:10 +0000, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com>
> wrote:

> patches
>>> on

> ;-)
>>> Wah sounds like we will owe you several barrels of beer if you can make
>>> headway on it.  Werner has a GTA01.
>>
>> Ehehe... let's make a party here in Finland after we have an up and
> running
>> git tree :-p
>
> Sure, I have been to Denmark, never been to Finland, a boozeup is always
> something to aim for :-)
>
>>> Thanks a lot for putting yourself up for this!  If we can support it
> let
>>> us know... success here will make a huge difference to this project for
>>> sure.
>>
>> BTW, I'll have to comment on some patches before applying them, at least
>> pcf50606 has to be
>> redone otherwise it won't make it upstream.
>>
>> Backlight feature should go to drivers/video/backlight, RTC feature
> should
>> go to drivers/rtc and so on.
>> One could make a drivers/i2c/chips/pcf50606-core.c and that would export
>> the necessary read/write functions
>> to the other modules.
>>
>> I'll probably find some other issues when preparing the git tree, but
> let's
>> handle one issue at a time ;-)
>
> Yes this is exactly what I would expect to hear from upstream so good to
> hear it now.

Good :-)

> I guess the best way is to track each variance from what will be
> accepted into Bugzilla, so we don't lose track, maybe under a parent
> metabug.  Then others can help out if you identify specific chunks of
> refactoring work.
>
> I guess you are going to need a public git repo and branches to manage
> this too, if anyone is going to cooperate with any subtasks they need to
> base off it, plus we can maybe base a development branch on it that has
> new stuff on top to assess how broken we are.  If it is true I can start
> that process of getting auth for the git server.

Yeah, just gimme a couple weeks after I get my gta02 here then I'll post
some patches to be applied
on top of a clean linux-2.6 (mainline) tree and that should be a kickoff of
our linux-moko-2.6.git

According to git auth, if you need a help check my blog:
http://felipebalbi.com/blog/?p=41

Note: we just need one user to push things as git will use From: line to
put the patch author.

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi