refactoring mokopatches

Felipe Balbi me at felipebalbi.com
Tue Mar 11 14:23:42 CET 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:18:02 +0000, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:49:59 +0000, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com>
> wrote:
>>> Oh absolutely.  But we should push the patches through this list before
>>> they go off anywhere so we can all see what is going down.  Likewise if
>>> anyone is helping out on subtasks, the path to that branch is through
>>> this list and yourself... although you can expect debate sometimes,
>>> which is the point.
>>
>> So we agree we will be using mailine patch process. All patches should
> be
>> sent to this list
>> before they can get integrated.
>>
>> Acked-by entries are also nice as we can validate at least one other
> person
>> has tested
>> the patch.
>
> Yes I'm not interested in anything less transparent.  And in terms of
> tree access, the owner of the tree is the only one who pushes anything
> there.  If someone else wants to work off it, it is trivial to clone and
> branch locally, then propose what you did on top back to the owner, or
> keep your tree tracking the original or whatever.  We don't need more
> than one pair of hands on any branch and the consequent "surprises" for
> sure.

Good :-)

>> Also, I'd propose everyone to read:
>> Documentation/SubmittingPatches
>> Documentation/CodingStyle
>> Documentation/SubmitChecklist
>
> We don't do too badly on it for patches these last months, but in fact
> AFAIK nobody does checkpatch.pl and sparse here.  That's something we
> should take on and we'll be the better for now we plan to be serious
> about upstream.  But at the same time we work with U-Boot which spews
> hundreds of compile warnings from all over even with pure upstream.

As i said, I'm not really a fan of u-boot, it tries to do too much stuff
on bootloader side :-s

>> So we shrink down the effort on rework based on coding style issues and
>> malformed patches.
>>
>> If anyone need a help with git, I've a few tips & tricks in my blog:
>> http://felipebalbi.com/blog/?cat=8
>>
>> I tried to make it as simple as possible :-)
>
> Wah your git-fu kicked my ass :-)

haha, nice :-)
I've being really studying git, I really like the tool. As a matter of
fact, I
use git from git :-p

every week I recompile a newer version of git and almost every week I also
rebuild my kernel :-p

--
Best Regards,

Felipe Balbi