Future debug board and deprecating write-only

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Mar 11 16:16:56 CET 2008

Andy Green wrote:
>> They're not *that* small and AFAIK not that cheap either ;-)
>
> Neither is the NOR we get rid of interestingly enough,

Yup, but we'll almost certainly be able to get rid of the extra NOR
(or NAND) chip anyway, irrespective of the debug board solution.

> Protection is less of an issue if the user can always recover the
> device, make new bad block table, etc.

That's true. We'd basically have two orthogonal mechanisms and we
could even chose not to implement a GTA02-like mechanism then. (Or,
better, design the system such that it can be added later if someone
should feel like doing that.)

> We can lose the debug connector and stick the extra IO elsewhere as
> discussed before too, remember -- no more nonstandard flat cables either.

Yeah, that'll be nice. I think we should ask our community for
feedback on what I/O options would be most useful for them. The
current one most likely isn't very high on that list.

> There is spare IO from the FT2232D so we can drive nRESET from the host
> too, getting rid of the button.

Yep, we already drive that one for JTAG anyway.