Atheros AR6001 Wifi Support

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Mon Mar 17 19:54:53 CET 2008

> Hi, I'm a student at Boston University, trying to implement an Atheros
> AR6001 Wifi chip on an I(ntel)Mote2. Our os for the Imote2 is 2.4.24
> kernel. Basically, I'm trying to create my own updated kernel for the
> Imote2. I am using a patch from
> (www-sigproc.eng.cam.ac.uk/%7Ejic23/IMOTE2/) which I think is a
> defconfig to auto set the kernel up for the Imote2. I'm then using the
> Atheros patches modified by Samuel Ortiz.

Ooh it's nice if people are able to re-use the work Openmoko funded there!

> I can get the kernel to compile and it is bootable, but when I go to
> make the modules, I get thrown an error because some stuff thats
> required for the SDIO modules for the Atheros chip is not defined in my
> patch for the Imote2.
>
> The error occurs doing "make modules"
>
> drivers/sdio/stack/busdriver/sdio_bus_os.c:363:2:#error "CONFIG_PNP not
> defined"

If you do

make ARCH=arm menuconfig

and have a look in "device drivers", "Plug and Play support" should be
the fifth guy down, make sure he is selected like [*].  I guess for
xscale it is still ARCH=arm.  In the Kconfig for it at

./drivers/pnp/Kconfig

it says

menuconfig PNP
        bool "Plug and Play support"
        depends on HAS_IOMEM
        depends on ISA || ACPI || SDIO  <========

so make sure you enabled the SDIO stack that is part of the Atheros
driver in your config too.  Seems to be

CONFIG_SDIO=y
CONFIG_SDIO_AR6000_WLAN=y

Be aware though this driver is sensitive to the firmware version you
have on your physical wireless device, IIRC we use some magic "89"
firmware, but I don't know much about it.