Post- GTA02

Paul Jimenez pj at place.org
Fri Mar 21 14:27:31 CET 2008

On Friday, Mar 21, 2008, Andy Green writes:

>>> It would be optimal if the whole GSM side could run autonomously and the
>>> CPU in fact unpowered / suspended during a call in the normal case (no
>>> listening sockets on Wifi for example).
>>
>> Yep, i see. But we have to drive the LCM anyway during call, no?
>
>I don't know why we do that when it is just illuminating your earlobes.
> Maybe for users with cool earrings it is a feature otherwise we burn
>maybe 200mA x 3.7V --> 750mW during the call for the CPU and LCM to do
>nothing useful at all, that has to be making a noticable impact on talk
>time from our 1150mA/h (or 1200 or 1250 I am no longer sure) / 3.7V -->
>4255mW/h battery.

FWIW, I think I remember reading that iPhones do something like
this based on their accelerometer status: if they're on a call and
the phone is 'on edge', then dim the LCD and (to avoid your ear
pressing 'buttons') ignore touchscreen input (maybe require an 'unlock'
gesture?). Or maybe it was with some kind of simple photodiode on the
front (since it gets 'darker' when you hold it close to your head).

  --pj