dont-smoke.patch / Gold cap possibilities

joerg joerg.twinklephone at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 11:17:41 CET 2008

Am Di  25. März 2008 schrieb Andy Green:
> - gpg control packet
> >> It's quite a little area of physical space,
> >
> > Yep, those aren't THAT small.
> >
> >> and I pulled the battery
> >> many times and it never made a crash, the PMU is pretty decent at
> >> handling that.
> >
> > I thought of spikes above 100mA when booting without bat. And this
>
> You mean that we boot without battery and then we add a battery?  I
> don't quite know the response of the PMU in detail but I do know it
> won't crash the CPU.  That has to mean it dynamically manages where it
> gets the power from very well, that's why the goldcap is more of a
> feature I think.

No, I just want to relief stress of >100mA from USB-bus, when booting without
battery. Maybe even enabling to start up the device at all (for 50633 should
simply reset the whole device when it demands >0.1A and there's no bat to
help it out. A correct working and configured PMU never shall ask more than
100 from USB, until allowed 500). The goldcap shall provide the excess power
for 1 sec or 2, like the battery would do normally, when there are spikes in
power consumption.
Furthermore I think I've seen a goldcap in parallel to bat in some of the
datasheets - maybe 50606?

> >> Whether it makes a "feature" if the phone suspended on battery removal,
> >> survived for 20 seconds on the goldcap so you can swap the battery and
> >> resume, I dunno.
> >
> > I think it's cool :-)
>
> Yes it does provide a new way for the user, access to internal devices
> without reset ... if you are quick :-)

And if GTA02 with hand built in goldcap plus R/D is quick in detecting bat
removal.

jOERG