Tracking upstream u-boot

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Mon May 5 06:46:27 CEST 2008

This weekend I spent some more time looking at u-boot. I know that there
have been discussions of using other bootloaders in the future, and I do
not want to distract the core developers from GTA02 tasks, but I hope
that the information and patches here will be of some use to the community.

Right now the default bitbake recipe is
"u-boot-openmoko_1.3.1+git+svn.bb", which uses the upstream "v1.3.2-rc2"
tag. This recipe also appears to lack the
"fix-data-abort-from-sd-ombug799.patch" workaround that is required to
boot from SD.

The first attachment to this email is a patch to create a
"u-boot-openmoko_1.3.2+git+svn.bb" recipe that uses the upstream "1.3.2"
version, with the ombug799 patch. I have tested this briefly and it
looks OK, so if other testers can confirm this I would suggest adding
this recipe to OE for now (until upstream 1.3.3 comes out).

The second attachment is a patch to create a bitbake recipe that tracks
the upstream git HEAD (currently v1.3.3-rc3, with a 1.3.3 final release
scheduled for May 12). Here the situation is not as clean, and
additional changes are required:

The Openmoko patches do not apply to this tree. The third attachment is
a set of patches to the Openmoko patches that are enough for the
do_quilt() stage to succeed, although there are still lots of "offset"
and "fuzz" warnings that could be cleaned up.

The fourth attachment is for a change for the rtc_get() function from a
'void' to an 'int' return value. This probably belongs in the "quilt"
patch series rather than in its current form as an OpenEmbedded patch.

The fifth attachment reverses the upstream commit
de109d909707e2dfe806be5efc3cdb103b47c8ad, "Makefile: fix parallel
builds", which was applied after 1.3.3-rc2. I don't know why but this
change results in a bricked device (at least on my gta01bv4) - on
power-up, there is no splash-screen and nothing is written to the serial
console. I do not know whether this is something that should be reported
to the u-boot development list or whether it is just that some of the
Openmoko-specific code needs to be updated to deal with the change.

Comments are welcome.