fascinating bug to do with apm and child processes...

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu May 15 01:24:19 CEST 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008 15:28:34 +0100 Graeme Gregory <graeme at openmoko.org> babbled:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:15:50AM +1000, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > shouldn't we look at fixing apm itself instead of working around it? :) also
> > this is a pretty major issue here as this means suspend/resume is going to
> > be very liable to hit this bug and thus have problems. the apm process
> > itself getting hung in such a way all parent processes also get hung in
> > waitpid() even if they call it with WNOHANG is going to hang... this is
> > bad... :(
> >
> Yes we should, at the time I was young foolish and working on not linux
> stuff so I filed the bug. My patch worked so well for OE no-one ever
> bothered to look at problem again.

aha! time we killed the sucker then (as i'm pondering really how this is going
to work sanely without a bug for us without jumping through all sorts of hoops
in userspace and still being bitten by it in another way...).

i just get nervous with kernel bugs. i like to think my kernel is solid and all
my bugs are mine up in userspace :)