Pulling and stgit

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Sun Oct 5 16:13:44 CEST 2008

Simon Kagstrom wrote:

>    [ska at lska2 kernel]$ stg pull
>    Notice: No parent remote declared for stack "simons-fixes", defaulting to "origin".
>            Consider setting "branch.simons-fixes.remote" and "branch.simons-fixes.merge" with "git repo-config".
>    stg pull: Failed "git-pull origin"

It is saying it doesn't know where to get updates from for
"simons-fixes", which is fair enough because it's a branch you created
locally.

If you go

stg branch master
git pull

it should update everything in origin/* against out upstream repo.  Then
you would need to rebase your branches, in the example above

stg branch simons-fixes
stg pop --all
git reset --hard origin/stable
stg push --all

There's a really handy thing to know too though, which is how to
teleport remote branches into your repo wholesale:

git pull git://git.openmoko.org/git/kernel.git mystable:origin/stable

That will create you a new branch "mystable" created as a clone of
current remote stable branch.  You can use this to re-nuke an existing
branch (alone) to be set to a clone of a remote branch arbitrarily (ie,
regardless of linear history) just by putting a + before the "mystable"
part.  You can run that command any time to nuke your mystable up to date.

> I then tried to set these to "origin/stable", but I then get:
>
>    [ska at lska2 kernel]$ git repo-config branch.simons-fixes.remote origin/stable
>    [ska at lska2 kernel]$ git repo-config branch.simons-fixes.merge origin/stable
>    [ska at lska2 kernel]$ stg pull
>    Checking for changes in the working directory ... done
>    Pulling from "origin/stable"
>    fatal: 'origin/stable': unable to chdir or not a git archive
>    fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>    stg pull: Failed "git-pull origin/stable"
>
> Looking at the tutorial, I also tried pulling on master, i.e.,
>
>    [ska at lska2 kernel]$ stg branch master
>    Checking for changes in the working directory ... done
>    Switching to branch "master" ... done
>    [ska at lska2 kernel]$ stg pull

git pull

would have done it, there is no stgit management set up for master.