[Stable] Unable to compile GTA02 kernel without CONFIG_MACH_NEO1973_GTA01 set

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Sat Oct 11 22:49:44 CEST 2008

Andy Green wrote:
> Rod Whitby wrote:
>> And who knows, once that's done, maybe you can use that as a stable base
>> for a single openmoko distribution instead of the 8 or 10 that there are
>> currently ...
>
> That's nothing to do with the kernel, in fact I love the uncontrolled
> distro variety.  Expecting "Openmoko Windows XP" is misguided, Debian is
> a really healthy sign for the product and for us.  But, I agree with
> your other points, we should aim to have such a good kernel there's no
> need to consider others except for development of special features.

Debian is a great sign, since it's taking an *existing* distribution and
adding support for a new device.  No problem at all here, and hopefully
there will be more of it.

2007.2, 2007.11, 2008.x, FSO, SHR are examples of very bad signs.

If all those were simply like "ipkg install configuration-fso", all
built from the same source base in the same repository, with all the
disparate people working on them having commit access to that one
repository, and all pointing to the same official feeds, and all being
built from the one official autobuilder, then there would be no problem
with having 8 different configurations of the one distribution.

Having 8 very different configurations of the one distribution is very
healthy and manageable.  Having 8 different distributions (including
some of them using different kernel patches) is not.

-- Rod