new kernel developer and preparation for upstream merge

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Tue Oct 14 18:00:19 CEST 2008

| On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> wrote:
| (cut)
|> Hum what config and / or build action are you compiling with?  I think
|> your problem with needing that symlink can be something else other than
|> the (real) mach path changes, the contents of stable-tracking should be
|> correct for current mach/ paths on master branch it is built on top of.
|
| Andy, this is what I used:
|
| # I corrupted my repos.
|   git clone git://git.openmoko.org/git/kernel.git linux-2.6
|   git-checkout --track -b nelson/stable-tracking origin/stable-tracking
|   git-pull # up to date
| # Is this the config. I should use?
|   cp ./arch/arm/configs/gta02-moredrivers-defconfig .config

Yes the idea now is that whatever branch / version you find yourself on
there is a good development config for gtaxx in files down that subdir.

For branches we are packaging, there should be defconfig-gta01 and
- -gta02 (and eventually more for future products) in toplevel (a job for
another thread to figure out how to generate that, I guess we start by
pulling out all the modules ones in existing config and putting them
into matching config from new kernel).

| #I use this alias.
|   alias crossmakeeabi='nice make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE="ccache
| +arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-" '
|   crossmakeeabi > /tmp/stable-tracking.test 2>&1
|
| And it would not build. I'm a missing a step?
|
| The first error is:
| arch/arm/mach-s3c2440/fiq_c_isr.c:22:26: error: asm/arch/pwm.h: No
| such file or directory

Hm I think what can be going on is that I generally don't do make
distclean or similar, since kernel makefile is now really good at
detecting what has to be done -- that symlink you mention I still have.
~ So I guess if I do distclean I will get same symptom as you now.

I'll try this out later.

| I also tried with the build script after "make mrproper" and
| cp ./arch/arm/configs/gta02-moredrivers-defconfig .config.

If it's just that inheriting the symlink hides the problem then it's
nothing you're doing, it actually is broken otherwise.