[UPSTREAM] Move backlight handling out of pcf50633 driver

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Mon Oct 20 00:14:12 CEST 2008

I don't want to comment on the political issues here, but having worked or at
least read a number of software stacks on top of kernel 2.6, I can say that
all users of the brightness class interface _I_ have seen are using the
max_brightness attribute.

I therefore see no reason to worry about changes, although I clearly want to
state that I don't see a reason to change it in the first place. The
brightness class interface exposes the hardware capability of a device, which
is inherently device specific, that's why max_brightness has been an
attribute since this class first hit mainline.

Bottom line: Don't change it in kernel. If you decide against my
recommendation, don't worry either, userland will not break.

Cheers,
--
:M: