Android sources released - patches soon

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Wed Oct 22 07:31:12 CEST 2008

Simon Kagstrom wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:56:05 -0700
> Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com> wrote:
>

>> There are only a few people that have known this, but I have been
>> working with the Android code base for some time and have had it
>> running first on a GTA01, and then later on GTA02 hardware. Now that
>> the Android code base has been open sourced, I will be releasing
>> patches to Android in order to use it with GTA02 hardware. GTA01
>> support has become decrepit and will need some work.
>>

> Great news and great work!
>
> I guess I can wait until you post the patches, but I thought about one
> thing. When browsing the Android git tree, I see there are quite a bit
> of non hardware-related patches, e.g., android_logger¸ android_alarm,
> ashmem etc. Are these strictly needed for Android to work and will
> these therefore also get posted here?

Yes, there is kernel support that needs to be included. It boils down to
what you've mentioned there plus the binder. The kernel changes are not
significant and I'll provide those soon. I have tons of patches I'm
working into the open sourced stuff. It has a different layout than what
I'm used to.

Sean