State of the OpenMoko wlan driver

Henning Rogge rogge at fgan.de
Thu Sep 18 11:14:32 CEST 2008

Am Donnerstag 18 September 2008 10:26:11 schrieb Andy Green:
> | a) I heared the driver supports adhoc interfaces, is this correct ?
>
> I also heard it is supported, I do not know status of it.
>
> AR6001 is fullmac device, so there is a big chunk of closed firmware
> between us and the hardware that regulates what we can do with it.
Okay, that's not good...

> | b) If yes, does the driver support promiscuous mode (can I hear adhoc
>
> packets
>
> | send between two other devices in range) ?
> |
> | c) Does the driver support monitor mode with radiotap header or is there
> | another way to get the signal strength of other wlan adhoc stations in
> | range ?
>
> AIUI there is no monitor mode support, and that's down to the closed
> firmware.  There has been no update of AR6001 firmware since before
> production and Atheros keep the firmware update utility private, so I
> would not hold your breath.
Bad...

> What IFF_PROMISC gets you in adhoc context I don't know either, but
> unless it passes it to the firmware the answer would be "your own
> traffic" I guess.
Is there someone on this list who has a small adhoc net and can test this ? If
the driver does not support promisc mode it would be useless for us. :(

Henning

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: rogge at fgan.de
Web: www.fgan.de